In 2016, Westwood Unitarian Congregation embarked upon a journey to be more welcoming, inclusive and respectful of those Humanists, Atheists, Agnostics and FreeThinkers. This effort was guided by the criteria for FreeThinker Friendly designation from the Unitarian Universalist Humanist Association.
The program challenges us, as a Congregation to:
- Be explicit in our welcoming statements and other language that atheists, agnostics, Humanists and Free Thinker are both welcomed and respected for their beliefs.
- Discuss within our Congregation ways we both support and discourage those with these religious and non-religious outlooks.
- Offer time and place for alternate religious or non religious groups to socialize, network and learn from each other
- Reach out to the atheist and Humanist communities in the city and the province.
To meet these goals we have been examining our language (and this website) and are sponsoring a FreeThinker Friendly book club.
We welcome comments and suggestions for ways that we can expand our inclusiveness towards these individual and communities.
FreeThinker Book Club
As an educational component of our FreeThinker Friendly Congregation, Westwood Congregation is facilitating a monthly discussion group this fall.
The book club is designed to:
- provide participants with a broad and balanced look at the major ideas of atheism, humanism and ‘free thinking’
- provide a critical response to atheism and
- examine issues related to parenting secular children.
The book club meets in the basement of the Church on the last Wednesday evening of the month 7:00-8:30 PM. In true Unitarian tradition theists, atheists, post-theists, agnostics and the unclassified are all invited to participate in one or all book club meetings!
- Titles and descriptions from 2017-18 Freethinker Book Club
- Titles and descriptions from 2016-17 Freethinker Book Club