Notes from the September 6, 2018 Board Meeting
- Future Board meeting nights will be at 7 PM the first Monday of the month (except in November when we will meet the first Thursday). Members are welcome to attend – please let us know in advance in case we have a change in meeting place or time.
- The Board welcomed Maggie Davidson, Chair of the Social Justice committee, for a discussion about Social Justice at Westwood. The popular movie nights will be continuing, and the committee will be making recommendations regarding improved audiovisual systems.
- The Board moved unanimously to congratulate Rev. Audrey Brooks on receiving the Salvos Prelorentzos Peace Award, organized annually by Project Ploughshares Edmonton, a group dedicated to peace, for her work in establishing the Genocide Memorial Garden which just celebrated its 10th anniversary.
- Plan ahead to attend the October 26-29, 2018 Western Regional Fall Gathering, “Building Beloved Community” in Winnipeg. Highlights include a youth conference, the installation of Rev. Meghann Robern and a full-day session of “joyful resilience” with Rev. Jason Shelton. Adult Early Bird registration is $135 until Oct 1, after that it will be $160.
- Rev. Anne Barker has taken on two new responsibilities: as Canadian Liaison to the Unitarian Universalist Ministerial Formation Network, where she will be coordinating student/mentor partnerships and hosting the Canadian MFN Retreat annually; and as the Minister Advisor, to the Canadian Unitarian Council’s National Lay Chaplaincy Committee.
- The CUC has created an excellent 2-minute video, “We Are Canadian Unitarian Universalists” which you can view via this link to their website, on our website or on the CUC Facebook page. Have a look and share it with your friends! You will see some familiar faces including our own Rev. Anne Barker who is “theologically alive”!
- Rev. Anne Barker celebrated with gratitude Westwoodian’s super quick response to a family in need. Within 48 hours we had furnished a whole apartment. Thanks!
- Our administrator, Elaine, will be taking steps to boost our wi-fi capacity so that all areas of the church building have good access.
- Repairs have been made to the foundation of the building, a very successful cleaning and maintenance bee and follow-up sessions were held in August and the yard and garden are looking great. Thanks to all those who so willingly pitched in – it was fun to work together.
- We wish to thank Adrian Kreuz for his enthusiasm and caring as he ends his time with us as a nursery staff member.
- The Board is enthusiastic about Westwood’s “What’s Next?” explorations over the coming year. There will be new and challenging ideas – we hope everyone will jump into this process by coming to the special Sunday services and community sessions so that by the end of the year we will all be able to answer this question with excitement about our future.
- When are we having our next FUNdraising Auction you ask? Save the date: Saturday, February 23. Stay tuned for more details. Interested in helping with plans? Contact Jacqueline Willette.
Lorian Kennedy, President, Board of Trustees