11135-65 Avenue Edmonton, Alberta T6H 1W3 · Traditional Lands of Treaty 6 First Nations
2020-12-27 Westwood Unitarian Pancake Sunday Online: Bring Your Own Pancakes!
ORANGE-ALMOND BUTTER Pancake Topping
But you could use it on many other things!
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into ¼-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 2 teaspoons honey
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- ⅛ teaspoon salt*
BEFORE YOU BEGIN
- Do not use buckwheat honey; its intense flavor will overwhelm the other flavors.
- Microwave 2 tablespoons butter in medium bowl until melted, about 1 minute.
- Stir in orange zest, honey, almond extract, salt, and remaining 6 tablespoons butter.
- Let mixture stand for 2 minutes.
- Whisk until smooth. (Butter can be refrigerated for up to 3 days or frozen for longer-term storage.)
Recipe Source: Americas Test Kitchen
BLENDER PANCAKES WITH WHEAT KERNELS
These are the lightest, most delicious, melt-in-your-mouth pancakes ever! Nutritious too!
- ¾ cup wheat kernels/wheat berries (or 1.25 cup flour of your choice)
- 1 cup milk
- 2 egg whites
- 2 Tbsp honey or sugar
- ¼ cup cooking oil
- 2 Tbsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- Put milk and *wheat kernels/wheat berries in blender and blend until smooth. (In my Blendtec, this takes about 1 min and 10 seconds, but could take up to 4 minutes in other blenders) Test by rubbing the batter between your fingers to ensure it isn’t gritty.
- Add remaining ingredients and blend for just a few seconds
- Pour straight onto a preheated, lightly-oiled griddle at 350 – 375 degrees
*If you are substituting flour for wheat kernels, mix all ingredients in the blender at the same time for just a few seconds until mixed.
Notes for pancakes:
- Places you can find wheat kernels/wheat berries: Bulk Barn, Earth’s General Store, Blush Lane Organic Market
- Make sure your pan has an even coating of oil to ensure even browning of pancakes. Use paper towel to apply evenly.
- To check whether you pan is ready, place 1 Tbsp of batter in your preheated pan for 1 minute and flip to check for doneness.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- Place a rack inside a baking pan.
- Place pancakes on rack in pan and keep warm in oven.
- *Do not stack pancakes or put them directly on a pan without a rack.